Monday, October 17, 2011

Reviewing THE PREACHER'S BRIDE by Jody Hedlund

I was absolutely stunned by the wealth of information this book contained, and at the final conclusion. I won't say more on the conclusion because I don't want to spoil it for other readers. But I loved this book. I learned more 'history' reading this book, and what life was like during those years, than I ever did in history class in school. How thankful to be living in modern America now, vs the way things were in England during this period.
Can you imagine 'today' being committed to a marriage and then through circumstances have your to-be-groom given to your sister instead? Can you imagine not having a say in anything and living sometimes worse than a slave just because you are a female?
I enjoyed learning about the differfent medicines used in those days, and the different ways of making breads and soups etc.
In other words, I found this book was very hard to put down; it had me involved from the beginning, and THEN the shock of the end.

   I believe the author did a fantastic job of pulling truth of the times into this story.  When I read that this was actually an account of the life of a favorite of mine, JOHN BUNYAN..PILGRIM'S PROGRESS, I was stunned. The story totally had me captured.   
 I highly recommend this book for all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment